Sunday, February 2, 2014

Hot Fuzz (2007) It May Be THE Funniest Movie of All Time

Hot Fuzz (2007) Universal
After reading the title you may be skeptical, but if you have seen the movie there may have been a few things you missed. To be honest, the first time I saw the film I thought it wasn’t that funny. I thought it was an average cop comedy that would easily be forgotten, but the more I thought about it the better it got.

A friend of mine (known as Graham) happens to know even more about movies then I do, which I have to say is pretty impressive. I feel like I don’t miss a lot, but whenever we talk about movies this guy drops mind bombs on me. To say the least he has better taste in movies. When I first saw this I told him that I didn’t think it was great and he told me to watch it again this time, but gave me the key to the movie. He said “Watch it this time, but know that every scene is a different genre.” I thought to myself that there was no way that I missed that, but after the second watch I realized how wrong I truly was.

Every scene is a different genre.

You go from buddy cop movie to murder mystery, from mystery to horror, from horror to slasher, and back to gay cop drama. HOW DID I MISS IT! I realized that throughout the film they talk about what seems like arbitrary things, but ends up being a main plot point. Every time someone talks it is foreshadowing something else. Big cop in a small town F-off to the model village à Last scene ends in the model village where he is seemingly larger. Ever shoot two guns whilst jumping through the air at the same time? à Pub scene.

To say the least the film is brilliantly written and directed. You don’t even realize its genius until the second and third watches. Every time you see the film it gets even better. After I watched it this last time I was on the floor even though I knew what was going to happen. I was ashamed of myself when Graham pointed out the best part because I had unknowingly be unaware of brilliance. I will never doubt Graham ever again.

Although many people may not understand British humor, you can’t help but see the irony is most of the things that happen in the film. The spaghetti western part at the end was the perfect way to end the film. There were so many other movies references that led to him making the decision to go back and arrest the whole village.

I can’t help but try to put this film in perspective when comparing it to other great comedies, but it really is in a league of its own. I challenge you to watch this film more than once and ignore how clever it really is.


Definitely on my list for top 5 comedies of all time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment