Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Dhoom 2 (2006) Machale!

Dhoom 2 (2006)  Yash Raj Films

Before Dhoom 2 I had never seen a “Bollywood” film. Bollywood is India’s version of Hollywood and they make some interesting films. One thing I love about Indian films is that they are known for being quirky, ridiculous, and having amazing dance choreography. The music videos are real. Every time I go to a hip Indian restaurant I can usually listen for some Bollywood hits I remember from all sorts of films. They are very catchy tunes that are easily remembered. I even sing them to myself unknowingly sometimes.

Dhoom 2 was the first film Bollywood film I saw and it is still by far the best. I don’t really feel like this film is supposed to be serious. Every time I see it, I am reminded of how ridiculous it is and then I wonder if it is meant to be a satire of American films. I say that because American films are ridiculous. Our action films show a lack of thought, possibilities, and most importantly physics. They make no sense and Dhoom 2 is no different. The stunts are stupidly funny on top of ridiculous that they were made to be that way. There are countless shots of people jumping off cliffs and other stuff. It’s so good that something must be said about the slow motion cinematography. First of all the slow motion stuff is next level. From the basketball scene to the jumping off cliffs, it’s absolutely gorgeous to watch. Secondly anything with Aishwarya Rai and Bipasha Basu is a great lesson in dancing and beauty. They may be two of the most beautiful women on the planet.

The 2 male leads are also dangerous and mysterious characters the way only celluloid can provide. Both of them are believable in their characters and are determined to outmaneuver the other. Bachchan is the dectective that has his own way of doing things even if it is outside the law. Hrithik is the mysterious criminal mastermind that never misses his target. They collide in this film and eventually… become friends? Yes that’s right, in Indian cinema the two settle their differences and allow one another to live free of their past. That would never happen in Hollywood. They must hate each other and value the others demise more than their own life. I was not expecting to see an officer of the law be so accommodating to the villains. After Rai’s character kills Hrithik, Bachchan just lets her go and lets her life be her punishment. I have also never witnessed a film where someone was absolved of murder so that they could live their life of shame. That’s kind of awesome. I wish people had more of a moral compass to the point that if you committed crime, but the only punishment was having the fortitude to press forward knowing what you have done. Heavy stuff from a mostly comical and action packed film.


The whole point of the movie is to prove that love is sacrifice and the film proves it on many occasions including a scene featuring Russian roulette. The scene isn’t great because it is over-dramatized, but the message is great. This film also features the first kiss on screen in Bollywood history. Although the women are dressed in somewhat more revealing clothing, they are very wholesome throughout the film. No raunchy sex scenes, just weird dance scenes that allows each character to prove their love… through song. I happen to appreciate that fact and it is highly refreshing. I am already excited for Dhoom 3, but I am unable to get a copy in America. 

No comments:

Post a Comment