Friday, January 3, 2014

Rush (2013) A Thrill to Begin the Year


I have never been a huge fan of Ron Howard's films. Now that being said, Rush happens actually is an interesting film based on the true story of James Hunt and Niki Lauda and is certainly worth watching if you don't mind copious amounts of nudity, a badass rivalry that goes just as far as Angier and Borden in the Prestige, and features an ending that perfectly explains the mindset of the two men and how they lived. 

I think we all enjoy rivalries because we can all remember what it is like to have an opponent. Whether it is a school bully that has been mean to you or a teammate from a sports team, as humans, we all have the need to compare ourselves against them. Some people bask in the rivalry to become better and others allow themselves to fill up with jealousy and hatred. 

Lauda and Hunt are portrayed by Hemsworth and Bruhl. Brule has been fantastic if you have seen some of his german films and he was also featured in Inglorious Basterds. I say 'Hemsworth' because any film his unnamed brother has been in has literally brought me to tears of sadness. 

Both actors are able to portray the vastly different lifestyles of each person and of course like all Hollywood films, the story comes full circle to be retrospective. The only part that was somewhat less entertaining was the fact that the dialogue was very short. I guess the writing was easy to attack, but I found myself wanting to hear more from each character. I get the fact that not everything needs to be explained, but I wish there were more in a film that passes the threshold of two hours. 

I was somewhat depressed further to find the Oliva Wilde has been cast again as the same pretty girl where 'things just don't work out' because it is getting rather tiresome to watch.

Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones) also has a cameo and continues to also play the same typecast she has previously received in other roles. I don't mind seeing her well crafted body, but I can't help but feel like she has more potential as an actress. 

All in all, Rush does a credible job of explaining a story and a better job of explaining a rivalry and a relationship between these two famous men. It is an enjoyable watch that will certainly leave you rooting for the character you are more like.  

No comments:

Post a Comment