Thursday, January 30, 2014

Enders Game (2013) BUT IT WASN'T LIKE THE BOOK!

Enders Game (2013) Summit


It’s hard to explain my feelings about this movie because I have waited close to 10 years to see it made correctly. I have waited patiently because I am a fan of the book series and I happen to enjoy great film. For me I love to read books because the capture a wide breadth of story and character development. If you read books you will already feel smarter than most of your friends and colleagues because you get to see viewpoints amassed by those with more experiences. This gives them great depth of character even if they are fictional and it is hard to look at the world in the same way after seeing from the viewpoints of others for so long.

This book series has helped me learn a great deal about myself because often times I find myself thinking like Ender. I weight the options of the greater good and I view humans as if they were an alien species. It helps me to understand a great deal about cultures and why people act as they do. I find Ender very accessible as a character because I emulate a larger strategy plan like he does. I may not have the eidetic memory of a Sheldon Cooper, but some of his quirks are shared with me.

I will say that the movie did not do well with the critics and it certainly failed in the box office numbers. This is depressing to me because again it is a far cry from what critics were writing. This movie had some political implications before it came out because the writer of the book is against gay marriage. I feel like that was a major contributor to the demise of this film. Many boycotted the film and the critics didn’t give it a fair assessment. The people who saw it did enjoy it.

This being said I will take up some of the petty grievances or complaints I have become accustomed of hearing when critics and friends talk about the film.
1.       “It wasn’t as good as the book”
·          Granted. A movie rarely possesses the same complicated themes a book can describe in detail and very few movies have a director that is able to condense the sheer size of a story into a cinematic format (unless they are named Peter Jackson and get unlimited budgets and runtimes).
2.       “It was rushed”
·         Of course it was. It’s hard to name a book adapted movie series that actually wasn’t rushed besides LOTR i.e. Harry Potter, Hunger Game, etc. Movies that are based on characters with mostly inner dialogue always lose the majority of their characters in the movie because you can only see their conflictions and not hear them. This brings me to another grievance.
3.       “Ender doesn’t seem that smart”
·         Agreed to an extent, they failed to convincingly show that Ender was constantly being watched and didn’t want to show his feelings very often. It didn’t show how much he hated Graff even before the Bonzo event. It didn’t show how he brilliantly out-thought Graff on many occasions and many of his actions were meant to make him the leader he wanted to be on his own terms. He was so far beyond his cohorts and he was beloved and hated at the same time, like Julius Ceasar. If they had spent more time in battle school, it would’ve been easier to see how far ahead he really was intellectually. His inner dialogue is very complicated for a similar person of his age. Notice that Katniss seems like a witless moron, but in the book she was much brighter than she appears to be in her film. You can’t adequately explain a character without time and since they had to condense the film, you lost a great deal of his achievements and intelligence.
4.       “Ender was easily manipulated”
·         Wrong. He was manipulated in order to show what he would do in certain situations and in the book he was much younger than he appeared in the film. He accepted many of the manipulations as tests and begrudged Graff for them, but constantly outperformed the expected results. He couldn’t control his life because that wasn’t his concern, but to say that he was easily manipulated in the film just shows that it was is a misconceived understanding.
5.       “The ending was easily foreshadowed”
·         Sure. In the movie it was. I can easily blame the director Gavin Hood for not only leaving out important dialogue, but absolutely failing miserably to continue with the themes of the book. He botched the ending by forcing the film to move at a rate that left regular viewers far behind. For the life of me I cannot understand why he was even allowed to write this. Sure the executive producers could’ve had more creative input, but they obviously couldn’t see past the problems of the script and the feeling of being “rushed” though the movie. I think Card was a part of the process, but never really got the control he wanted. The movie execs probably gave Hood the green light and didn’t want to have any scripts edited during the filming process. The movie itself had passed through the hands of 3 companies that I know of and finally ended up with Summit who failed to provide the story with a real script writer, director, and production company.

That being said I don’t really have an opinion on the critics themselves but their websites could easily be confused with buzzfeed or tabloid journalism at best. Most of the reviewers did not give this film a fair assessment and some of their criticisms while viable are also misplaced. It is easy to say that it was rushed or that it was not comparable to the book, but the honest truth is that this movie was never going to be LOTR or the Hunger Games. It didn’t have the director, the budget, the runtime, the script, or the production company with the stones to do it right. The movie did fall a little flat compared to the book, but I did not think that the message lost much of its potency. The story is captivating and shows us the difficulties of war, the decisions to be made, and the harsh mental conditions it put Ender through. The battle school may have not been moral, but it was necessary. I still thought it was a good film despite what problems I have with it. I didn’t care that it was rushed because it was entertaining and gripping. 


Adam Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment