Saturday, January 11, 2014

Enough Said (2013) It Barely Said Anything New

Enough Said (2013) Fox Searchlight


I felt like I have been watching too many action films and that a drama would be better for last night’s selection.We decided to watch Enough Said which is a movie featuring Julia Louis Dreyfus and the late James Gandolfini. The story is about a masseuse named Eva that becomes friends with a woman she meets at a party. Subsequently she meets a man at this same party who later asks her on a date. During the course of the story she finds out that the woman she is massaging is the ex-wife of the man she is now dating. Although she is caught in an awkward situation, she tries to learn all she can from the woman she is now friends with in order to find out about problems with her ex-husband.

It seems somewhat convoluted to read about it, which probably points to the fact that I did not explain it all that well. It’s not a convoluted watch and is what I would call an interesting film, but not worth a date night with your significant other. Both Dreyfus and Gandolfini are funny characters, but the movie turns into a romantic comedy that follows the same cycle (I wrote about this in my review About Time) except the girl makes the mistake instead of the guy and instead of getting back together with a grand romantic gesture, it’s a very odd situation. It’s a tale as old as time and its getting difficult to watch.

Am I the only person out there that is tired of romantic comedies? They all seem to be following the same path and they aren’t really bringing anything new to the table of art. I titled my blog as “If Movies Were Only Like Great Art” and I titled it like that because most movies really fall short of anything that could be construed as art. I liken it unto a line used in the Pixar film Ratatouille where they explain the definition of the phrase “anyone can cook.” It doesn’t mean that everyone can become a great chef; it just means a great chef can come from anywhere. This is how movies are for me. Some of them are good, some of them are bad, many of both those categories are entertaining, but the great ones transcend film and become art.  

Obviously I don’t feel like this film was great. It was amusing but never borders on being anything exceptional. I felt like I was always waiting for it to change into something better, but it just let me down. Maybe that is what the director wanted to portray. There are just two characters that go through an awkward situation and come back together through small means. I know it was not the cheesy ending you may have expected, but at least it was real. For that, the critics of the film were more than willing to score this film very high for a played out plot line. I guess it is interesting to see some 50 yr old divorcees try to find love after having kids and a life, but I didn’t necessarily feel like I could connect or relate to the main character on a personal level.

It may be too much for me to ask that a romantic comedy be something that connects people and real-life situations. I understand that it is difficult because the stories may be too boring to put on camera for a thrill seeking audience, but I feel like even if the situation is extrodinary that you can still connect to the characters in many ways.


Enough Said was a fun film that had some laughs, but at the end of the day I will probably never watch it again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment